A Lifeway Research study found the areas of ministry that are stressful to evangelical pastors and the ways in which pastors attempt to cope with the stress.
How pastors feel:
- 84 percent say they’re on call 24 hours a day.
- 80 percent expect conflict in their church.
- 54 percent find the role of pastor frequently overwhelming.
- 53 percent are often concerned about their family’s financial security.
- 48 percent often feel the demands of ministry are more than they can handle.
- 21 percent say their church has unrealistic expectations of them.
How pastors cope:
- 94 percent consistently protect time with their family.
- 92 percent make deliberate efforts to prevent conflict.
- 90 percent regularly listen for signs of conflict in the church.
- 89 percent feel free to say no to unrealistic expectations.
- 85 percent have a day of rest at least once a week.
- 59 percent have private Bible study and prayer seven or more times a week.